Sunday, April 08, 2007

Reflections on a Summer Day - 1955

Today I decided to reflect on a childhood experience - just to enjoy the memory.

It is the summer of 1955 in Cleveland and today is the Universal Engraving employee picnic. My Dad, Rodger Goodwin, is a four-color engraver for the company. Today he has brought my Mom, Sue, and sister, Deedie, and me to the picnic near Lake Erie.

The day is just about as perfect as it can get with a clear, flat summer cerulean, and a breeze bringing the countryside fresh-mown grass our way. I am floating around from one activity to the next looking for fun and adventure.

The next game I happen upon is for children my age - essentially the goal is to kick your shoe as far as you can and you win a watch. I line up with the others to prepare for the contest. I have a red leather sandal with a buckle, so I unfasten it. I am excited, my heart is racing with the prospects of winning the contest.

When the man at the end tells us to kick our shoes I kick as hard as I can. My shoe seems to fly forward and I think it was the farthest out, but the man says I was only second and someone else won the watch.

I guess some kids would shake it off, but I wanted to win and I wanted that watch.

Next thing I realize is that I am sobbing and my caring Dad sweeps me up and comforts me in his arms. I know he is tall because I always seem far off the ground when he holds me. His long arms around me make me feel better as I wipe my tears on his shirt collar.

Dad tells me not to worry, like he always does when something happens to upset me or I suffer one of my many scuffs on the playground of childhood.

Thanks, Dad.



No comments: