Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Swinging at Dennison Park - 1956

I lived on Sylvania Road in Cleveland Heights until I was 11. I had a gang of friends in the neighborhood, just like most kids everywhere. We would ride our bikes up and down the side walk, or roller skate with the metal skates that clanged along the concerte walk. We played hide-and-seek in neighbors' yards and kick-the-can in the street at night.

One of my favorite memories was on the weekend. My Dad, Rodger, would walk with me to Blue Stone Road and then up to Dennison Park. The only thing I needed in a park was a good swing, and they had some with very tall frames and long ropes to the seat - that meant you could go very high. My Dad would push me as high as he could and I would fly up to the sky. When he did an underdog and ran out from under my swing I felt a rush of adrenaline that gave me a thrill.

Thanks, Dad, for giving me your time at Dennison Park, I think of you and our time together often - it is one of my favorite memories.

No comments: