Sunday, November 05, 2006

Goldwater on religion and political pressure

In the book by Richard Dawkins called "The God Delusion" he uses a quote from Barry Goldwater in 1981 [past presidential candidate, and when I was in 9th grade I supported him for the presidency]:

"There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religous beliefs. There is not more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their positions 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in A, B, C, and D. Just who do they think they are?And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convications to all Americans in the name of conservatism."
Dawkins says in his new book published by Houghton Mifflin Company in 2006, "The religious views of the Founding Fathers are of great interest to propagandists of today's American right, anxious to push their version of history. Contrary to their view, the fact that the United States was not founded as a Christian nation was clearly stated in the terms of a treaty with Tripoli, drafted in 1796 under George Washington and signed by John Adams in 1797."

No comments: